What we are looking for
- Collaborative projects, including two or more partners, that demonstrate innovative, creative approaches to advancing a healthy environment, a prosperous economy, and an equitable society in Minnesota. Projects can be ongoing or have a project completion date up to two years before January 1, 2023.
- Individuals who demonstrate leadership in working across difference and collaboratively approaching efforts that advance a healthy environment, a prosperous economy, and an equitable society in Minnesota.
- Learn more about the project awards process and criteria
- Learn more about the individual awards process and criteria
What the award recipients receive
- Selected projects and individuals will be celebrated at our in-person ceremony in St. Paul on May 18, 2023. A short story about each recipient will be created and published on Environmental Initiative’s website and social media channels. Winners also get to work with BairStories to create a video of their winning story. Watch a video of a previous Award recipient.
Nominate a project or person
Nominations for the 2023 Environmental Initiative Awards closed Feb. 20.
Project Awards Categories
Energy & Climate
The Energy & Climate Award recognizes a partnership working across difference to reduce greenhouse gas or carbon emissions, cut energy consumption, enhance climate resiliency, advance energy efficiency, address the changing climate, or improve air quality.
The forward-facing Environmental Innovation Award recognizes a partnership working on creative and innovative approaches for environmental breakthroughs or projects with the goal or implementation of systems change or transforming how people work in the environmental field.
The Rural Vitality Award recognizes a partnership working to solve community-scale environmental challenges in rural areas. The recognition may include grassroots efforts in revitalization or beautification; alternative land use strategies; convening partners to facilitate community understanding across racial and ethnic difference; or policy initiatives contributing to economic prosperity, environmental stewardship, and social justice for an improved quality of rural life.
Local Sustainability Impacts
The Local Sustainability Impacts Award recognizes a partnership involving small organizations— such as non-profits, faith and community groups, or local businesses—working on collaborative, replicable efforts to respond to local sustainability challenges, improve community environmental health, or practices and engagement to advance environmental justice. Projects may include neighborhood-scale efforts, community-led practices, or environmental stewardship initiatives.
Individual Awards Categories
The Critical Collaborator Award recognizes an individual who has dedicated their career to creating a lasting impact on the environment, environmental health, or environmental justice through partnership and addressing environmental challenges.